It can be overwhelming trying to find a way to make a difference. The Bible is clear on the issue of helping those less fortunate than ourselves, but how do we do it in a way that is meaningful? Lighthouse Mission Ministries, a powerful organization right here in our community, is changing the lives of the homeless and they offer 8 ways we can all help.
- Be prepared – Anticipate the opportunity and take precautions for your safety. Some people may not be looking for help.
- Acknowledge – People who are homeless are often overlooked, so acknowledging them as a person is important. Smile and say hello. Go out of your way to approach rather than avoid them, it shows respect and gives dignity.
- Engage – Start a conversation. Take time to listen. Recognize that not all people who are homeless (and their problems) are the same.
- Don’t give money – Ask what their greatest need is. If money, what will they do with it? Think creatively about how to help without enabling them.
- Offer an alternative – Keep care kits with you that include socks, toothbrushes and toothpaste, soap, bottled water, and healthy food items. Any of these items are helpful.
- Encourage them to go to the mission – Lighthouse Mission provides food, shelter, and other services to help with immediate needs and address underlying issues. Carry public transportation tokens to give out. These can be purchased at the Bellingham Station.
- Pray for them – Prayer is one of the easiest ways you can help the homeless. Because of the harshness of their lives, many homeless people are crushed in spirit. God uses your prayers to bring healing to broken lives.
- Support Lighthouse Mission – Whether it’s through prayer, giving financially, donating items, volunteering, or following us on social media, Lighthouse Mission relies on local community support. Our focus is on giving a hand up and out of homelessness. Partner with us!