Your Life - PRAISE Updates

Has There Been Some Pruning In Your Life Recently?

Is spring really here or is today’s sunshine just a tease of things to come? I don’t know the answer to that question, but my roses seem to. My wife, Sharon, always tells me it’s time to prune the roses on President’s Day. Well, yesterday I headed out to prune our roses and discovered I may be too late!  They seem to think most of winter is over.

You know, in some ways we really are like roses. Pretty in place, yet able to inflict pain on those who come in contact with our thorns. Left un-pruned, we grow wild and out of control. When pruned, we become the visual representation of love, just like a beautiful red rose. Through God’s loving pruning and the wisdom of His Word, we can go from wild and out of control to become the visual representation of God’s love to those around us. Has there been some pruning in your life recently?

Thoughts from my backyard,

Jim Bouma
Morning Show Host
John 15:1-2

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. SherryS posted on 02/19/2013 04:36 PM
    I so need to hear that Jim!!! Thank you so very much!!

Sherry
  2. LelaC posted on 02/19/2013 04:59 PM
    I feel like I need to cut down my rose bush & start all over again.
  3. PatriciaF_0487 posted on 02/19/2013 05:37 PM
    Some times I feel like most of my life has been a pruning. I have truly been through the refiners fire and I know it is not over yet. I am so thankful for God's love and knowing that I am His daughter. My relationship with my Father in Heaven is what keeps me well grounded as I ask .... Heavenly Father what am I to learn from this experience...instead of crying...Why me??? I no longer ask Why me, I used to until I heard a talk on asking the question what I am to learn from this experience. Experiences are our life's test. It is through our experiences that Heavenly Father does his pruning in our lives.
  4. AaronC_0020 posted on 02/19/2013 08:57 PM
    That's just so inspired,from Him and seasonally.
  5. KerriB posted on 02/20/2013 07:14 AM
    Yes that is true and love that analogy. I don't like being prunned but that is God's way....he knows what we need and when....He is perfecting us to be the way he wants and thanks for bringing this analogy to my mind.
    You are awesome and glad you are feeling better.
  6. CharleneW_2013 posted on 02/20/2013 08:07 AM
    For me I think God is showing me what I can be if I allow myself to be prunned. Thanks for sharing Jim.
  7. BreaH posted on 02/26/2013 10:40 AM
    That was very much that I needed to hear cause I have been doing just that pruning back or weeding out the things in life that really keep my from God and his love.
  8. CherylDForkner posted on 02/28/2013 11:04 PM
    One area of my life that God is pruning me in is in what I think "my time" should be used on. I have a real estate career, grandchildren and a wonderful husband. Plus I have friends from work and church. But I also have a Father that has Alzheimers and I am the one out of 6 children that God chose to oversee his care these last years of his life. It's been hard, it's been challenging, it's been stressful but I know this is what I'm supposed to be doing right now. I feel God trimming off some of the selfishness, the self-suffiency, the self-centeredness that I have in my life. I look to Him each day for strength and direction, only He knows what each day will hold. Getting a phone call from the Adult Family Home is not as unsettling with a God that knows the future and is control of everything. I'm thankful for His plan and purpose for my life.
showing all comments
  • In the Footsteps of Paul

I remember two years ago when I was asked to host a tour of PRAISE listeners to go to Israel… what a dream come true. A life-changing experience for me for sure… I have made some incredible memories and some wonderful lifelong friendships. And now, an opportunity to go on “Paul’s Journey” this Fall. Read More