Your Life - PRAISE Updates

Lessons From A Horse

I’m an avid outdoorsman.

I love being out in the ‘garden’ God has given mankind. Although in a fallen state, it’s still spectacular, and my experiences have taught me that it can be scary too.

A couple of weeks ago Sharon and I spent 5 days with friends near Merritt, B.C. camping. While we were there, a severe thunderstorm rolled through with strong winds that sent unsecured tents literally rolling through the campground. Followed by small hail and eventually a lot of heavy rain. Our friends are Horsemen and while we sat in the protection of our camper and waited out the storm, I watched as the horses simply turned their backs to the wind and lowered their heads and took the force of the storm.

They didn’t freak out, try to get away or even worry about it as best as I could tell. They seemed to know that “this too shall pass”. I thought about the many times a storm has blown into my life and how easy it is to freak out, run away and of course worry. As I watched those horses I wondered if maybe they didn’t have a better understanding of that biblically directive…”be still and know”.

Trying to be still and not worry,

Leave a comment:

showing all comments · Subscribe to comments
  1. Bud Bremner posted on 08/06/2014 05:02 PM
    Hi Jim and thank you so much for this timely story. I've just had a financial storm blow into my life and unlike the horses I do have huge worry on my heart. This story really helps me to remember to just chill, pray (which I have in abundance) and believe in God's unfailing Grace. This could not have come at a better time for me, thank you so very much!

Your brother in Christ,

Bud Bremner
  2. Joan Cranmer posted on 08/06/2014 05:19 PM
    Jim - what a great letter!!! I live in Chilliwack B.C. but am from the Spences Bridge/Ashcroft/Merritt B.C. area - my mother and her siblings grew up in Spences Bridge B.C. (approx. 40 mi. northwest of Merritt) - we call that area Sagebrush Country. So great to hear you enjoyed your camping experience in cowboy/ranching area in spite of the thunderstorm. And thank you for making PRAISE 106.5 a great station to wake up
    to every day.
    Joan Cranmer
  3. Gwendolyn posted on 08/08/2014 05:00 PM
    I was surprised to hear that because I thought that horses freaked out when thaere was thunder, wind and rain. maybe I got that impression from movies which aren't always truthful. I find in my own life that the kind of change I'd like isn't forthcoming, but I need to take some steps myself to see change in myself and other things.
  4. Shiro posted on 08/13/2014 03:55 AM
    Wow! Just what I needed to hear at this time of night. Too much on my mind, can't sleep and can't stop all the worrying :(
    Time to let go and let God. Thanks Jim!
  5. Angie Cooper posted on 08/18/2014 11:38 AM
    Hi Jim, talk about Purrr-fect timing! Can't thank you enough for this blog. I wish to share with you, the email I sent to my dear friends who stood by me on what was a really rough, "bump in my road of life." Will try to send it to you now.....God is soooo amazing, never ceases to amaze me, He does! To HIM be ALL of the Glory & Honour, forever & ever, Amen!
  6. Rudy Hiebert posted on 08/19/2014 08:59 PM
    I just read about a popular hotel chain that has made moves to remove Gideon Bibles from their guest rooms and replaced it with an undesirable novel that nobody should read. Instead of fussing and fuming over it, I'm showing as many people as possible that they can get a copy of the Gospel by going to http://sendme.ca/ Let's fight fire with fire. Rudy Hiebert
  7. Linda Brown posted on 08/21/2014 03:08 PM
    When I was 27 I contacted a pneumonia bug from my roommate. This type of pneumonia left me with asthma. Fast forward to last December now 51 - for two years prior to December I prayed every night that Jesus my Lord would heal my lungs from asthma. Early last December He did! Jesus is a worker of miracles!
showing all comments
  • Proverbs3:11-12

My son, do not despise the Lord’s discipline, and do not resent his rebuke, because the Lord disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in. Proverbs 3:11-12 Read More
    Daily Bible Verse
  • Check out our new feature

Now PRAISE listeners have easy access to expert advice and information! Ask the Experts is the new feature built to provide the PRAISE community with interactive dialogue directly with professionals across many fields. Read blogs, ask questions and listen to interviews from a growing list of qualified experts including banking, education, home repair and health. Be an informed buyer with Ask the Experts and PRAISE 106.5! Read More